Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Hello, boys! I'm baaaack!!

Memorializing the final words of Randy Quaid's character when he saves the world and flies his fighter jet up the puckerhole of the alien spacecraft hovering over Area 51 in the final battle scene of the 1996 blockbuster hit "Independence Day"..... "Hello boys! I'm baaack!!!"

If you don't remember, Independence Day almost singlehandedly reinvigorated our great nation into the major disaster movie genre. 'Twas (in the Christmas spirit) the first real significant disaster movie to lay total waste to the White House - a feat which still wins our hearts in the recent movie "2012". There were many followers to lay waste to the Earth, most of which were remakes. A quick list would include The Day After Tomorrow, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The War of the Worlds, Brokeback Mountain, and The War After the Day the World Stood Still Tomorrow.

In fact, Independence Day was one of the first movies in memory to use viral marketing to promote itself. Nowadays, "viral marketing" is pigeonholed into the sole concept of web promotion, but back in 1996, you better believe I was watching the Steelers-Cowboys Superbowl XXX and at halftime saw a 3o second commercial come on TV that consisted solely of a gigantic UFO hovering over the White House for about 5 seconds, then shooting a blue laser into the White House and blasting it into smithereens, followed by a fade to black, and then a slow fade back in, showing only the date "July 4". As of that moment, my summer movie plans became very clear.

Anyway, just a few quick hits to confirm my reestablished presence on this board. First, look back at my Brett Favre comments from June/July. I was totally correct. Second, I will recount my mission to South Bend Regional Airport as promised in my last post.

Third, and most predictably (Since Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens are so boring this year) I have a predictably-predictable prediction about the Tiger Woods story, which I will predicably convey in my next post. My prediction will not come true for about 12-16 months, but I assure you it will come true. Totally predictable.

But, for now, Will Smith vs. Outer Space Octopus. Welcome to Earth.

"Welcome to Earth" Link: http://www.hulu.com/watch/17084/independence-day-welcome-to-earth

No comments:

Post a Comment